Most REAL adults know this stuff. But a lot of young people have no idea. Here's a list of seven things you should never put down the drain . . .
1. Grease, cooking oil, or butter. They end up mixing with other stuff and form a thick sludge that can clog your drains up. Another thing that does it is mayonnaise.
2. Egg shells. Don't jam them in your garbage disposal. They can break the blades. And the tiny shell fragments can stick to stuff and cause clogs.
3. Coffee grounds. They end up sticking to grease and oil that's already in your pipes, so they can make clogs even worse.
4. Pasta. It keeps expanding from all the water. Don't worry if it's just a noodle or two though. The same thing goes for rice.
5. Flour. When you mix it with water, it's basically like glue. So if you spill some on the counter, throw it out. Don't wipe it into the sink.
6. The stickers on fresh produce. They can clog your pipes up, and they can also cause blockages later on at water treatment plants.
7. Expired medication. Don't flush it, because it gets into the water supply. Some cities have places where you can drop off old pills. Otherwise, leave them in the bottle with the lid on, and throw them in the trash.